. nailsapART: Bling Bling Sequin Manicure

Thursday 1 November 2012

Bling Bling Sequin Manicure

Perusing Poundland this weekend (again!) I found a lovely set of glitters and sequins... I've been looking for some small round sequins for some time now, particularly since I heard of the upcoming launch of Ciate's sequin manicure, but most of what I see around are large sequins, the type with the hole in. These are more like tiny disks...

The pack came with 12 little bags of of 4 colours (pink, purple, orange and mixed) - 2 sequin bags of each colour and 1 'normal' glitter bag. I decided to try the mixed bag as it seems very similar to the 'Harlequin' Ciate version.



As you can see - the sequins are extremely similar to Ciate, as demonstrated on Kiss and Make Up. I don't think I've done the greatest job of it, as the sequins had a tendency to stick up, so the surface is VERY uneven. I used Technic 'Gardenia' as a base colour (2 coats) and then used Sally Hansen's 'Had as Wraps' and before it could dry, dipped the nail in the sequins. (as my bottle is quite old it's a bit goopy, so I thought that would be good for sticking the sequins to). I initially tried using a top coat but found that it made the nail look weird - almost like it had a slimy layer over the top, so I scrapped that idea.

Overall, I'm not hugely keen on this manicure from a distance it looks ok. but looking a bit closer makes it appear a bit 'messy' which I'm not keen on. I'm not sure what the glitter grip provided with the Ciate product is, so you may be able to get away with using this on top, but without being able to use my top coat, I don't think this will last too long. Ciate's promotional pictures are also a bit misleading - the sequins look much, much smaller, as you can see Grazia here.  This makes it look a lot neater...

I've also discovered that Nails Inc have launched 'Bling It On Rocks', as reviewed here on Sugar & Sparkle. I'm very keen to try this (or similar) as it looks more like chunky glitter than sequins, so the effect is classier (in my opinion). What do you think? Have you tried either product, or a similar version?



3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh these look fabulous, imagine them in red green and gold for christmas!

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jazz, that's such a great idea - might have to try it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these glitzy nails! very glam :)

    ReplyDelete